It seems the more we try to keep our personal information safe by using antivirus software to increase the security of our computers, the harder it becomes to install software properly on our machines. As a result of the increased security, Revit's libraries and templates are not being installed with the Revit software. We now need to be diligent and self-sufficient when it comes to installing Revit content. The following explains where to find the content and how to get it installed, so you can continue using your Revit software without missing anything.
There are a few ways to access the Revit content for the current version plus three versions back.
- One place to access the Revit content is through your Autodesk Desktop App (shown in the image below). Note: Revit 2022 needs to be installed on your machine to see the content in the list. Installing content from the Autodesk Desktop App is only available for the 2022 version.
- If the Autodesk Desktop App is not installed on your machine, you can download the content from the Autodesk website: Autodesk Revit 2022 Content.
- These downloads are language-specific so verify you are downloading the correct language (e.g., Enu is English).
- Once the content has downloaded, you will need to double-click on the .exe file in your download folder and click Install on the Autodesk Revit 2022 splash screen (shown in the image below). Verify that Revit is closed before installing the content.
- The last option to access Revit families is within the software. From the Insert tab> click Load Autodesk Family and load families from the Autodesk cloud. Note: If you do not have internet service this option is not ideal.
See below for how to find and install content for older Revit and Revit LT versions.
In Revit 2021, you can go to the Insert tab> and click Load Autodesk Family to load families from the Autodesk cloud.
In Revit 2021 only, you can access the .exe files within the software by clicking on Get Autodesk Content from the Insert tab, which takes you to the Autodesk website: Autodesk Revit 2021 Content.
Autodesk Revit 2020 Content - Revit 2020 does not have alternative ways to access the content.
Autodesk Revit 2019 Content - Revit 2019 does not have alternative ways to access the content.
How to install 2021 and old versions
Once you have downloaded the .exe file(s), double-click on the file to extract the content.
In the extraction dialog box, specify where you want the content to be installed by clicking the Browse button, then click Extract, as shown in the image below.
- By default, Revit installs the content in the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 20XX folder and the path within Revit looks to this folder path for the families and templates.
- If you do not see a ProgramData folder, this means that it is hidden. You will need to unhide this folder so you can see it when you specify a path. To unhide the folder, click here for Microsoft's steps.
I hope this blog is helpful because missing Revit content is frustrating and can delay your progress in a project. For more of my blogs and webcasts, visit the ASCENT website, or take a look at our Revit courseware titles.
About the AuthorFollow on Linkedin More Content by Cherisse Biddulph